Diwali and Kali Puja is a religious festival of lights, prayers and happiness. People celebrate Diwali with religious procedures, pujas of Gods and Goddess like Kali Puja, Laxmi & Ganesh Puja etc. There is a tradition of decorating places, houses with lights. These can be electrical lights, earthen pot (diyas), candles etc. People also burst crackers that burn on ground and as well as go aerial. There is scrumptious food for meals and snacks.
During these times there are increased incidents of accidents due to fire and injuries while driving under intoxicated condition (drunken driving putting life and property of oneself and people at risk)
We need to enjoy this festival safely so that it is pleasant experience for us and others.
- Avoid bursting crackers that emit loud sound above prescribed decibels. High sound can damage ears and hearing ability, it is very difficult for patients with cardiac diseases and nerve related diseases to tolerate loud sound. Children, pregnant women have a hard time. Animals, birds get scared.
- Crackers and fireworks that emit a lot of fire and or aerial needs to be used with caution and as per given instruction on packaging in safe distance from people and properties so that there is minimum chance of fire related accidents.
- Put crackers in bucket of water after the cracker is burned, it is best not to keep burned crackers in open.
- Avoid putting fire near electrical lighting, LPG gas cylinders, machines, electrical equipment, curtains etc.
- Wear light cotton clothes that are well fitted and easy to manage in any case of fire accident. Avoid synthetic and silk clothes and any such easily inflammable material.
- Keep fire extinguishers, bucket of water ready.
- A First-Aid box with essential medicines, medicines for burn related first-aid needs to be kept ready
- Put cotton balls inside ear or above ears in case there is loud sound. One can wear glasses (spectacles) to keep eyes protected from falling burned or lighted objects from sky
- Do not keep hair loose, tie it tight and keep it well managed. If required wear a safety cap.
- In case of minor burns do not use ice-cubes over it, use cold water, pour enough water and then you may use any medicated cream for burns and cover the area with sterile gauze. In case of serious burns take the person to nearest burn ward.
- Wash hands well before eating after bursting crackers to avoid ingestion of the cracker materials that are chemicals not suitable for consumption.
- Avoid drink and drive. Drive carefully , do not rush.
Share and Spread the Awareness and Wish all a Happy Kali Puja and Safe Diwali